Saint-Tropez: Sex On The Beach

I was on my writing tour in France, and of course could not resist visiting the infamous Saint-Tropez, in Southern France. Saint-Tropez, also known as the Côte d'Azur, was made famous by world-renowned actress Brigitte Bardot, has perfect weather and a great party atmosphere. Saint-Tropez's reputation precedes it.

What you might have heard about this amazing area is true -- basically, anything goes! Saint-Tropez is one of the world's most decadent wonders, sporting the best of restaurants, nightlife, beaches, shopping, and did I mention
beautiful people?

getting there

It's only an hour and a half hop from Paris to Nice by plane. Or if you decide to take the TGV, the superspeedy train which takes you south and also into Nice, you're looking at a beautiful ride that takes approximately 7 hours.

Once in the south, drive to Saint-Tropez; it will take approximately 2 hours. But prepare to make it a leisurely drive, stopping at quaint villages such as Eze for a glass of wine and some Brie cheese.

quick fact

Saint-Tropez's port at the beginning of the 20th century was mainly used for shipping and fishing. By the end of WWII in 1944, the port was destroyed and then rebuilt.

An ideal location for Paris artists, writers and actors to set up shop during the summer months, Saint-Tropez garnered its reputation by the 1950s as an eclectic area, giving way to the freedom to be whatever you wanted to be.

it's the place to be

I had been trying for months to book the most popular hotel in Saint-Tropez, the Byblos. Just a warning: the rooms at the height of party season (May through the end of July -- August is when all the Europeans depart for vacations) range with a basic room starting at $600USD and upwards of about $3,000USD per night.

It was booked and there was no chance of making a cancellation. But, on another note... it is the place to be and be seen. I met up with friends that were staying 6 to a room just to stay there.

My concierge in Cannes recommended that if I only had a short amount of time to visit Saint-Tropez, then I had to spend an afternoon at La Voile Rouge restaurant. So I packed up my neon-sparkly green Renault, and headed on my way to the place described as the "Journey through extravagance!"

From the main road, you turn off onto a windy little one-car road. Very beautiful and picturesque, the road takes you past wineries and miles of vineyards. As it winds down, you can see a gorgeous port with specks of white ships and sailboats scattered in the bluest of waters in the distance.

life's a beach

As I watched for the signs to take me into the beach area, I had already begun to feel a relaxed atmosphere. I took my turn and headed down onto the beach and parking lot. There I was facing the ocean, looking for this restaurant, and only seeing beautiful yachts and bronzed bodies frolicking in the waves.

I asked the parking attendant how to get to La Voile Rouge, and he pointed to a dirt road parallel to the sand. I followed a couple of "partygoers" dressed in
Madonna-esque swimwear, (sexy, studded and barely there -- with cowboy hats to match).

As I entered and came around the wall that separated this ugly dirt road from the restaurant, I saw a beautiful outdoor patio and was greeted by squeals of other "partygoers."

get with the party program

What I found out is that there is a schedule to follow in Saint-Tropez. Sleep in until noon, roll out of bed and onto the beach, head over to La Voile Rouge for some mid-afternoon play, head back to your accommodations for a nap until 10pm, have a meal, and then head to one of the fabulous night spots such as the Caves du Roy at the Byblos, until 6am.

Fun is an underestimation when describing La Voile Rouge. By 3am, the music gets pumping, and drinks are a-flowing. By 4am, most of the beachgoers are joining in, and fashion shows on makeshift catwalks begin.

Let me clarify fashion shows for those who would assume, like I did, that Paris = Runways =
Naomi Campbell. Think Play ..mates, meets Frederick's of Hollywood, meets some of the hottest men and women around!

I actually bought a dress right off one of the models, who pleasurably stepped out of it and handed it over, in the midst of the crowd she was modeling for... no one even blinked. Just another day at La Voile Rouge!

By 5am, the place went off like nothing I had ever seen before. Bottles of
champagne were bought, only to be shaken and sprayed joyously amongst the crowd now dancing on the tables, chairs and bar. Men were licking the champagne from their "recently acquainted" friends' bellies! The music was great, the views amazing -- the ultimate in decadent fun. I was invited onto a table where I partook in one of the most fun nights of my life!

Dripping with champagne, I took a flight out of Nice the next morning. It was time for me to bid au revoir to my newest favorite place. I left Saint-Tropez begrudgingly, with a vow to return next season. And if you come to La Voile Rouge, look for the girl with the grandest of smiles, dripping with champagne, dancing on the tables. Yup, that would be me!

Been to Saint-Tropez or another similar location? Share your travel tips at Cafe AskMen's
Fashion & Lifestyle forum.

Resources:
http://www.byblos.com/
http://www.guide-tropezien.com/
http://www.airfrance.com/
http://www.eurostar.com/
http://www.autoroutes.fr/
Hotel Reservations
Get the best articles you find interesting, free TipsAndWorks.com Subscribe by Email Share/Save/Bookmark