4 Memorable Days In Michigan

For many Americans, the state of Michigan represents many different pillars such as winter, the Great Lakes, the University of Michigan, and General Motors. What many do not know is that it also has many beautiful sights and prestigious neighborhoods.

the arrival

detroit in the evening
As the Northwest Airlines airplane was making its way toward the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, I observed the fabulous scenery of the Michigan vegetation. It gave me the impression that there was an abundance of life on the ground.

After a relatively short flight, the plane touched soil. As I stepped out, I was overwhelmed by the size of the Detroit Metropolitan Airport and the many signs it had, pointing in all kinds of different directions. Being able to overcome the man in me, I asked for directions (it was only out of desperation, I was tired of walking).

I found my way outside so my very good friend, Dina, could find me. I knew she had an SUV, but so did three quarters of the population.

We chatted on our way back to her place in Bloomfield Hills, which is almost a northern version of Beverly Hills because of the amount of prosperity (not to mention golf courses) in the cities; they're very similar in that sense. We then headed directly to the nearest Quizno's where I could satisfy my huge appetite with a big ol' 14" submarine. The cheese was melted, the steak grilled, the bread toasted, and the vegetables fresh. It was an excellent first taste of the city.

Day 1

In the actual city of Bloomfield Hills, I saw great big trees and well-paved streets funneled between. Massive presidential-style bushes surrounded the houses. The properties were complete with tennis and basketball courts, and large amounts of greenery. There were even gates reminiscent of those in Eyes Wide Shut . Finally, the house was incredibly big and the decor precious and classy. Bloomfield Hills is a great place to buy a home if you're a moderately rich individual.

This quiet city is about 20 minutes away from Detroit's industrial park. On this first night, I spent a wonderful day eating at Sushi Hana on South Woodward Avenue. I suggest the fabulous shrimp rolls; their texture and size would definitely satisfy any hungry man. I capped off the night with a stroll through the streets where I could do some window-shopping.

Day 2

The next day was heaps of fun. I met a few of Dina's friends. At first, I thought they might be a little unapproachable, but after a few minutes, they offered me a drink that then turned into a seven. So we enjoyed the drinks and chatted up a storm. I don't remember the last time I had so many tequila body shots.

We then went back to her house. I fell asleep on her couch -- I was exhausted. I guess the alcohol was more than I could handle. Later, we went to Pasta Fagioli on Franklin Road, where we ordered tortellini with a delicate rose sauce along with cannelloni. I ate loads of bread -- I always eat too much bread and end up stuffing everything else in after. Try not to do that at Pasta Fagioli, it's not worth it. At night, we went for drinks at the Fur Place -- the atmosphere was warm and the lighting dark. It was a nice drive to Detroit, worthy of its nightlife activities.

Day 3

We started the day with a quick breakfast at the local IHOP -- a rarity in this town, where the Burger Kings are scarce. At least there is one on Telegraph Road if you get homesick. I then spent a good day at the Great Lakes Crossing, which is a shopping mall that offers discount prices. It was refreshing to see some good bargains, compared to the high prices in the city. This was all located at about 20 minutes from Bloomfield Hills.

Ann Arbor is renowned as the location of the University of Michigan. The school is massive and has incredible sights [read: hot babes].

The city of Troy is not far from Bloomfield Hills. There, I went to the Gathering Place, a smooth bar without much dancing. It was nothing more than a typical tavern with its darkened lights and run-of-the-mill drinkers. Unfortunately, like I mentioned, Detroit is the only real place for night activity.

Day 4

I knew my final day in Michigan would be another great one. It started with a walk through a local park, which was followed up by a visit to Dina's country club. So there I was, getting a tan in a nice motorboat.

After relaxing in the motorboat, I went for an intense round of tubing -- riding a circular water tube on your stomach while getting pulled by a motorboat. The water was reassuringly warm. It was an exhilarating experience, getting pulled at fast speeds, tearing right through the surface of the water. Next, I think I'll try jet skiing.

the party's over

Finally, that was how my trip ended. I never thought that visiting a prestigious city like this one could be so much fun. Michigan is a great place for a vacation and I highly recommend it to everyone.

Resources:
Detroit Travel Guide
Get the best articles you find interesting, free TipsAndWorks.com Subscribe by Email Share/Save/Bookmark